4.20.2011

Recalibrating...

Over the last few months... probably more specifically over the last few years, I have changed my exercise routine. Some for the better but mostly for the worse. The positives are that I started running a little bit which is brand new to me. I also got into paddle boarding, basketball, racquetball and hiking which I didn't really do that much before. Some of the negatives are that I have paid less attention to my diet and commitment to regular exercise. I have been lulled into a slight decline in my commitment to my own health for many reasons. I have an amazing wife who cooks me great food so I have not cooked a lot so I have allowed myself to stop being proactive about my diet. I have only worked out in spurts and done not enough cardio. I have blamed work, scheduling conflicts, fatigue, and other things for this. I have let myself get away with this mind set because of how my life was changing compared to how it was.

Today... I am changing this mindset. Today, I will begin to compare my life today to how I anticipate it changing from today on... How my work schedule will become more and more demanding and stressful... How scheduling commitments will become more frequent and more important with more responsibilities and our family and friend's family growing everyday. How I am getting older and the concept of "mind over matter" will be increasingly relevant.

My plan... a diversified plan that is trackable. I will approach activities by frequency. For example, I plan on going to the gym 3-4 times a week but I plan on hiking once a month. My focus... the gym, running, basketball, hiking, paddle boarding, and racquetball. Below is my plan and I will try and address each one as I progress.

-Monday is the easiest day to be motivated so I will plan on going to the gym at lunch and running with Kona when I get home. My workout will focus on a major muscle group like chest or back
-Tuesday, I will plan on a light workout focusing on stomach/lower back and a short run with Kona when I get home.
-Wednesday, I will plan on being an off day but filling any gaps I have from Monday or Tuesday.
-Thursday is basketball day
-Friday will be workout only and will be focused on arms and legs
-On the weekend, I will plan on at least one outside activity (running, paddle board, basketball...) and one gym. It is important that I use my mornings to get this done
-At least once a month, I will want to get the dogs out for a hike or outside play time
-At lease once a week, I will be on or around water. This is swimming, paddle boarding, running, or walking.
-I will also plan on going grocery shopping at least once a month and cooking a HEALTHY meal once a week. I need to plan this ahead because it is easy to be lazy

This is important to me. This is about feeling good and living well. I am used to approaching these goals on my own and I will definitely be self-motived but I am also writing this so that others push me. To know that this is something important to me but that it is also easy to let go. Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment